May 2011-present: Instructor, Community Journalism 101
- I’ve co-developed a community educational program that welcomes marginalized community members to SFU Woodward’s, a contested space in the Downtown Eastside. Community Journalism 101 is an introductory journalism course for inner-city residents experiencing socio-economic and health-related barriers.
- I co-write the curriculum and lead student recruitment for the course alongside co-facilitators Alexandra Samur, Geoff D’Auria, Scott Neufeld, and Stefania Seccia. Our fall 2016 edition of the class marked the 14th iteration of Community Journalism 101. The course has welcomed approximately 150 participants, many of whom have gone on to publish their work for pay and build lasting friendships.
November 2013-December 2016: Adjunct instructor, UBC Creative Writing Program
- I taught over 1,000 students through nine sections of Creative Writing 213 from January 2014 through December 2016. I rewrote and redesigned custom curricula for each semester. Creative Writing 213 is an undergraduate lecture that investigates the social impacts and creative potential of the new media landscape.
- The course is part of the core curriculum for 100 first year students in the media studies stream of the Coordinated Arts Program. It is also offered as an open-enrolment lecture for undergraduate students studying across disciplines.
September 2012-October 2013: Instructor, SFU New Media Journalism Certificate
- I was an instructor in Simon Fraser University’s New Media Journalism certificate program. The program started through SFU’s continuing studies department in fall 2012. I taught in the 2012 and 2013 iterations of the program.